The Estonian Startup Visa is meant for non-EU startup founders who wish to come and be a part of one of the smallest but liveliest startup communities in Europe as a founder. Under the Startup Visa program, a startup is defined as a business with the goal to develop and launch an innovative and repeatable business model with great global growth potential, which also contributes significantly to the development of the business environment in Estonia.
Who Is Eligible
To be eligible for the Estonian Startup Visa as a startup founder, you must have:
Financial resources of at least 130 EUR for every month you want to spend in Estonia. For the 1-year visa this amounts to 1560 EUR.
It is the very bare minimum one can get by in Estonia demanded by the law. However, we strongly recommend you to have more funds to enjoy life in Estonia comfortably.
FInnovative scalable business. You are working on an innovative and repeatable business model with great global growth potential.
Approval from the Startup Committee stating that you match the definition of a startup and can pursue the Startup Visa.
How To Apply
- Fill out an application about your startup for the Startup Committee - think of it as applying for an accelerator program or presenting yourself to a potential investor.
- Startup Committee, consisting of members of the Estonian startup community, will review the application about your startup and make a decision within 10 working days whether your company qualifies for pursuing the startup visa or not. You will get the verification letter with your unique application code, have this at hand for the next steps.
- In case your company qualifies for pursuing the Startup Visa, you can go on fill out an application for a visa or an application for a temporary residence permit at an Estonian Embassy in a city of your choosing or at a Service Point for the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board, using your unique application code.
Documents to be submitted along with your visa application:
- a valid travel document
- confirmation letter from the Startup Committee regarding qualification as a startup or confirmation regarding participation in qualified accelerator program
- 1 color photo with measures 35x45 mm
- a document confirming the payment of the state fee
- an insurance policy valid for Estonia or for the Schengen area with a coverage of at least 30 000 EUR for the entire duration of stay
- evidence of sufficient means of subsistence
- evidence regarding accommodation
- any information which supports an applicant’s intention to leave the Schengen area before the expiry of the visa, such as the return flight tickets
Bring Your Family
If a startup is granted a visa, the same may be granted to their family - spouse, minor children, and children that have reached the age of maturity but who due to their health status or disability are not self-reliant. The same applies to the family when the Startup Visa is extended.
Copyright StartupVisa.eu 2017